Kerusso (Greek- κηρύσσω)-kērússō

Kerusso (Greek)- verb

1)To cry or proclaim as a herald

2)Proclamation

3)Announcement

4)To preach the Gospel



See Luke 4:18-19, Romans 10:10-17







Friday, October 22, 2010

Well, hey there :)

Okay, I guess that since I made this about 10 minutes ago, no one will know about this, what I'm about to write. So I might as well go ahead. I got my name for this- kerusso- from a t-shirt company. I sincerely hope they don't mind, but seeing as it's really a Greek word, I don't think that there will be any copyright infringement or anything silly like that. :) I know that this sounds crazy, but I think that kerusso is my new favorite word. I mean, it's really fun to say for starters. Go ahead. Say it. Keh-roo-soh. And it makes me feel exotic. No one I know knows what 'kerusso' is. But I think it's my favorite word because of what it means. It's a Greek word, a verb, that means "To cry or proclaim as a herald", "announcement", as well as "preaching; to preach." (The New Testament in the Bible actually uses a different word, kerygma for preaching, but kerusso sounds cooler.(: ) That's pretty much our job as Christians. To tell people about the good news, the love that Jesus offers them. When Jesus was reading from the book of Isaiah (look up Luke 4), He read from Isaiah 61:1-2a:

"The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, because the LORD has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the LORD's favor."

He then told everyone that He was the one that was annointed, the one to preach, the one to bind the broken, to free the captives, and release the prisoners. He did. Now, it's our turn to tell everyone about Him, how they can be healed, freed, released. We need to "cry, proclaim as a herald". We need to brings an "announcement." We need "to preach". We need to, well, kerusso.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting blog. I came across it because I was wondering whether I should choose the Civil War book on booksneeze. Based on your review, I think I will. Feel free to visit my blog as well. Take care and God bless.
    http://sharonhenning.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete