Kerusso (Greek- κηρύσσω)-kērússō

Kerusso (Greek)- verb

1)To cry or proclaim as a herald

2)Proclamation

3)Announcement

4)To preach the Gospel



See Luke 4:18-19, Romans 10:10-17







Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Hidden Magic of Walt Disney World by Susan Veness

Hi- I just got a new book from booksneeze- “The Hidden Magic of Walt Disney World” by Susan Veness. Before I start talking though, I need to say that I got this book for free from the Booksneeze program. Okay? Okay. Now, let me tell you that I am a complete and utter Disney-o-phile. I was raised going to Walt Disney World in Florida and I have Mickey pumping through my veins. Figuratively speaking. Anywho, when I saw this book for “sale” (i.e, for free on Booksneeze), I had a bit of a spaz attack. I got it and began reading, and reading, and reading. The idea for this book is a very good one, but poorly executed. A lot of the “secrets” are outdated, commonly known, or just plain untrue. This is not a Christian book either- while it has no outright “Anti-Christian” message, it contained trace amounts of secularity- it mentions evolution a few times (such as when talking about dinosaurs in the Animal Kingdom park) and emphasizes the “prayer flags” that dot the Asia part of Animal Kingdom- flags that the Buddhist faith uses to get prayers to the heavens. Also, in different country pavilions in EPCOT, there are numerous references to other religions (such as Islam in Morocco, Buddhism in Japan, etc.) that the author glorifies. Yet any reference to Christianity the author almost demeans. Also, the author seemed EXTREMELY fond of the phrase “symbolically”- the word appeared on nearly every other page. It seriously started getting on my nerves. I would not suggest this book to anyone who does not know Disney very well- if you knew Disney things well, you might be able to work around the incorrect facets to find the few-and-far-between gems that might be true (such as backstories to rides and whatnot- the backstories for the different rides are one of the few things that the author got right.) Anywho, I am glad that I got this book, because it got me excited for future Disney trips and whatnot. But overall, I’d give this book only a two out of five stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment